What better way to celebrate the end of spring and the beginning of summer than with sweet and juicy strawberries?
Strawberries are naturally sodium, cholesterol, and fat free. They are also packed with vitamin C, other antioxidants, and are a good source of fiber.
Vitamin C is important for the growth and repair of tissues in all parts of our bodies. It is also an antioxidant that may have preventative effects on cardiovascular disease, cancer, and cognitive decline.
How to Pick and Store Strawberries
• Look for glossy, bright red berries with fresh green caps on.
• Check the package to make sure there aren’t any signs of mold.
• Sore unwashed berries in the refrigerator for 2 to 4 days.
• Don’t wash strawberries until ready to use/eat.
This low calorie food can be used in a variety of ways from sauces and jams to relishes for meats or fish to desserts. Try this quick and easy recipe.
• Angel Food Cake Mix
• 1lb Fresh Strawberries, Sliced
• 1 can (14 – 16oz) Crushed Pineapple,
• ½ of 8oz Tub Whipped Topping
Mix angel food cake mix with can of crushed pineapple
Pour ½ cake batter into 10” pan
Top with layer of sliced strawberries
Pour the other ½ cake batter on top
Bake in the oven for 350°F for 35 minutes
Let cake cool completely before removing from pan
Spread whipped topping on evenly on cake
Top with sliced strawberries
Nutritional Information per 1/12 cake
Total Carbohydrate 42g