One of the best parts about being a dietitian for a grocery store is getting to try new food and staying on top of new products that hit the shelves.
Recently, Rhythm Superfoods, (who also makes the Kale Chips we love), came out with chips. They have Barbecue, Jalapeno Lime, Nacho and Sea Salt flavors.
These tasty little gems have not received their NuVal nutrition score yet so we did a little comparing and found that the Jalapeno Lime flavor had the least sodium and most fiber to carbohydrate ratio. You'll see that the chips have 4.5 grams of fat per serving but none of that comes from saturated or trans fats (the fats currently associated with heart disease).
Here's a pro/con list of these chips.
- Great crunch factor - if you like thin, super crunchy chips, you will love the crunch of these
- Taste really fresh, especially with the lime flavor
- Very little sodium - only 25 mg for the Jalapeno Lime
- Certified Gluten Free
- 12 grams of whole grain per serving
- Contain antioxidants from purple corn
- Have considerable protein and fiber for a chip
- Just enough heat from the jalapeno (I'm a weakling and can only handle so much heat so these were just perfect)
- Bag is much smaller than your average chip bag - but that makes it perfect for portion control
- Chip doesn't hold dips very well - they kind of break off, especially with guacamole
- Just enough heat that kids probably wouldn't like the jalapeno flavor - but I could see them loving the nacho flavor
- Some people commented that there was an aftertaste of the pea protein - others couldn't tell
|Flavors: Barbecue, Jalapeno Lime, Nacho and Sea Salt - |
all flavors available at Market Street (last checked Sept 2014)
Ingredients: Whole Purple, White, and Yellow Corn Flour, Sunflower Oil, Potato Starch, Pea Protein, Sesame Seeds, Defatted Flax Flour, Oat Fiber, Chicory Root Extract, Flaxseed, Green Bell Pepper, Sugar, Dehydrated Onion, Jalapeno Chili Pepper, Purple Sweet Potato (Color), Dehydrated Garlic, Sea Salt, Citric Acid, Sunflower Lecithin, Spice, Yeast Extract, Extractives of Lime, Natural Flavor, Tocopherols (Natural Vitamin E), Rosemary Extract, Natural Ascorbyl Palmitate (Derivative of Vitamin C), Trace of Lime.
|Jalapeno Lime Super Foods Chips - I'm so in love with the color!|
You'll find these chips on our chip aisle, specifically in the specialty chip section.
Have you tried any of the Super Food Chips? Let us know your favorite flavor.